Tuesday, October 12, 2010

On Being A Mum


I try to be a good mum. I have heard people refer to others as a 'good mum' - I have said that myself, but what is it actually? Is it someone who has everything run perfectly every day, is it someone who has fresh fruit cut and packed in separated containers every time they leave the house? Is it someone who doesn't have either a pile of ironing, folding, or dirty clothes ready to be washed on a single day? Is it someone who has dinner on, children bathed and playing quietly in their rooms by 5:00pm?
Don't get me wrong, these things are great - actually they probably came to mind because I would love to do any one of them consistently! I would love to be that 'good mum', and like I said confess I try to be a good mum!

I have come to the point though that I will never be that. The main reason is: LIFE. It just doesn't let me. Today for example, Lachlan didn't have lunch until 2:30pm - and tonight he fell asleep on the lounge room floor because I had to feed Lucas and couldn't get the energy to put Lachlan to bed for the 3rd time.


I will keep on trying to be that 'good mum'. I will try to do all those things that in my mind equate to a 'good mum'. But I do have an assurance that what I am doing is working - or will work in time. I also know that this will never happen in my own strength. I know I need to pray more, read God's word more, organise myself more, iron more, discipline more, get frustrated less, procrastinate less, and worry less.


I will try my absolute best, because this is what inspires me:


My boys. My responsibility. And what a responsibility it is! I read this post on writing a Motherhood mission statement, and decided to write mine. I haven't finished yet, mainly because it all seems daunting. I definately like the 'being intentional about raising, training, disciplining, and educating'. Things don't just happen. I need to deliberately do these things.





And just because this is my blog and I can shamelessly brag about whoever and whatever.......my boys latest........


He drew the cross and told me it was a cross. I said 'great, did you know that Jesus was on a cross?', He said 'I know that already' and drew Jesus.




One day a little while ago I thought I would get Lachlan to copy his name. I didn't really expect him to do it, but since then he loves copying writing. This was on the back of his card to Jonathan for Fathers Day.

And this was the front of the card. He drew our family, and laughed at himself for drawing himself so big :)



And just yesterday, he drew this picture. I didn't even see him drawing it until he showed me! I quickly took a photo because he was about to attack it with black oil pastel.



And just yesterday Lachlan was SO excited to start swimming lessons again! He said he would tell his teacher all about himself.



And so begins the monthly photos - on the blue chair again :) Lucas at 1 month. Have I said how beautiful he is?????

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I often wonder about being a good Mum and worry that I am not - I don't have a clean house, homework is not always done, the boys don't always have showers. But they do have a lot of love and they have a Mum who listens when they need to talk and who talks when they need to listen. And to me that is what a good Mum is - a provider of love, a nurterer and a comforter. All those other things are bonuses. So I think that qualifies you as a wonderful amazing Mum.

Love your blog.

Kelli

Melanie said...

Kelli! I just 'stumbled' across your blog the other day :)
That is so true - I think the love a Mum has will take her places inside herself she never knew were there, and she will do whatever she can to care for her children.
Have a great week!

Kylee said...

I was going to say something all sentimental until I read, 'IRON MORE'???!! MELANIE! lol!!!!!

Seriously tho, I think sometimes the pressure/expectation we put on ourselves is the very thing that causes us the stress and frustration that ends up making us feel like we're not what we want to be. Ultimately, as I do my best each day I want to remember that God's grace is sufficient for both me AND my babies :)
Love you Mel

Melanie said...

I know it sounds crazy Kylee, but if you saw my last pile of ironing you would understand ;)
Amazing grace!!!! Thanks :)