A while ago I bought this book (I love my model!):

I read about half of it and then (like most books I read), it found its way onto my bookshelf to be finished later on. A few months ago I noticed that there was going to be a book club on 'The Ministry of Motherhood'. I loved the book, and really wanted to finish it - so thought that doing the book club would make me do that! Although I didn't really keep up with the book club readings, I enjoyed reading the blog and listening to the clips from Sally Clarkson, and it did help me to actually finish the book! It really is a fabulous book. Here are some things that spoke to me .......
The book talks about motherhood being a calling, and that there are 'gifts' we give our children. G = Gift of Grace. I = Gift of Inspiration. F=Gift of Faith. T=Gift of Training. S=Gift of Service.
Gift of Grace.
The grace of time together, the grace of encouraging words, the grace of forgiveness in action. This first chapter reminded me that just as I receive God's amazing grace when I so often fall short.....my children need to know that they will receive grace (from myself as well as God!) when they fall short of what they should do.
''Giving our chidlren this gift of forgiving grace can transform their lives by helping them understand that a relationship with God is not something that can be earned by good behaviour but a free gift to be accepted with gratitude and repentance. This gift of frace will be with them forever in their lives. What a legacy of freedom, peace, and love to extend to out children - a legacy that will accompany them even into eternity."
Gift of Inspiration.
Inspiring a sense of purpose, Inspiring a sense of God's powerful presence, Inspiring a new kind of love.
While reading this section of the book, I was reminded of when Lachlan was only about 2. One day we were driving somewhere just as the sun was starting to set. He excitedly pointed at the sky and exclaimed 'Mummy, who mixed up all the orange, pink and blue in the sky?!' Of course I told Him Jesus made it beautiful like that. The very next day he was just as excited to find a teddy bear int he clouds as we were driving along. These are little opportunities to 'expose our chidlren to the glory of God'.
"When we tell them about our answered prayers and those amazing coincidences that confirm God's presence in our lives, we help them realise that God is close and caring and active in
our daily circumstances. When we explain the things we have been able to do in the Holy Spirit's power that we couldn't accomplish alone, we help them understand how GOd works and what he can accomlish through us. As well tell them 'look' and 'observe', we isntill the hope that a supernatural Being more powerful than we can understand intervenes in time and space to help us and to interact with our lives."pg 85.

One funny thing Lachlan did was when driving into a near-empty car park and pulling into the car park spot, he whispered 'Thank you Jesus!"
Gift of Faith.
Faith in a living God, faith in God's living Word, faith in the Spirits power
I know that my children will experience difficulties in life, and as much as I hate to think about it they will go through dark times in their lives. I do also know that a gift I can give them is that of faith.
"As we look to the role of faith in the lives of the disciples, we see that Jesus constantly instructed them about it. He told them they could do the impossible, even move mountains, with one a tiny bit of faith. He pointed out the power of faith int he lives of others - the Roman centurion, a father names Jairus, a sick woman, blind Bartimaeus, a sinful woman and so many more. He also chastised the disciples occasionally for their lack of faith, such as when their boat was caught in a storm. He told sotries aobut faith and asked 'When the Son of Man comes, will He find fa
ith on the earth?' The issue of faith was constantly on his lips and in hiw instruction to help the disciples realise that knowing him and having a relationship with him and seeing answers to prayer were directly related to their faith in him, The same is true for us of course, which is why it is so essential for us parents to instill faith in our children. They are bound to experience many obstacles and difficutlies in their lives. We cannot take away those circumstances, but we can offer our children the gift of faith so they will have the strength to live through them and a relationship with God that gives meaning to it all." pg 112.
ith on the earth?' The issue of faith was constantly on his lips and in hiw instruction to help the disciples realise that knowing him and having a relationship with him and seeing answers to prayer were directly related to their faith in him, The same is true for us of course, which is why it is so essential for us parents to instill faith in our children. They are bound to experience many obstacles and difficutlies in their lives. We cannot take away those circumstances, but we can offer our children the gift of faith so they will have the strength to live through them and a relationship with God that gives meaning to it all." pg 112.The Gift of Training.
Training children to think, training children to pray effectively, training chidlren for tribulation
more to come.........
No comments:
Post a Comment