Sunday, May 4, 2008

Brokenness

This morning we heard a message at church about broken heartedness. Although I only heard the last two thirds of the message, it was great and really spoke to me. I also remember reading a chapter by Watchman Nee when I was about 17. It was also on brokenness. I found that book today and had another read.
It talks about the grain of wheat that Jesus talks about in John 12. 'Except the grain of wheat falling into the ground die, it abides along; but if it die, it bears much fruit.' To allow the inner life to come forth, it is imperative that the outward life be replaced.If the outward remain unbroken, the inward would never be able to come forth.
He also talks about the alabaster box. The box had to be broken to let the pure spikenard flow out. Sometimes we treasure the alabaster box, thinking that its value is more than that of the ointment.

I think there are things that God uses to break us throughout our lives. A broken heart is one which He can use.

About two years ago, I was broken. It wasn't a nice time, or a nice thing to happen. But I know God used that time to break me. I am different today because of that time. This was EXACTLY my prayer at that time.....

Have mercy upon me, O Lord for I am in trouble; mine eye is consumed with grief, yea my soul and my belly. For my life is spent with grief, and my years with sighing: my strength faileth because of mine iniquity, and my bones are consumed. I am forgotten as a dead man out of mind: I am like a broken vessel. But I trusted in thee, O Lord: I said, Thou art my God. My times are in thy hand: deliver me from the hand of mine enemies, and from them that persecute me. Make thy face to shine upon thy servant: save me for thy mercies sake. Let me not be ashamed, O Lord. Oh how great is thy goodness, which thou has laid up for them that fear thee; which thou hast wrought for them that trust in thee before the sons of men! Blessed be the Lord: for he hath shewed me his marvellous kindness in a strong city. O love the Lord, all ye his saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful, and plentifully rewardeth the proud doer. Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the Lord.
Psalm 31


I just realised this talks about the strong city. Pastor mentioned that after we are broken, God can build up - as in Psalm 51. Straight after it tells us that God requires a broken and contrite heart - it says 'build thou the walls of Jerusalem'.

The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart...' Psalm 34:18

1 comment:

Rob and Heather said...

Melanie, you are one very, very, very beautiful person. I love you sooooo much ...

(and you've made my mascara run!!)