Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Chocolate Conscience


Today I read this:

The Darker Side of Chocolate
As Australians indulged in $100 million worth of chocolate this week, some 100,000 child slaves worked on cocoa fields in West Africa producing up to 70% of the world's cocoa. In 2001, all the major chocolate companies promised to end child slavery in cocoa by July 2008. This promise was made seven years ago, and we now have just four months to go!


You can read more about what you can do about this here - please do, I just wrote my letter!

If you have a spare 10 minutes you can watch this video.

I don't know about you, but I would definately pay an extra couple of dollars for my chocolate if I knew for sure it didn't pass through the hands of child slaves!

I did hear that Cadbury is one company who said they would have slave free chocolate by 1st of July - I do hope so because I am not going to buy it until I see a Fair Trade sign......and that is a BIG committment for me!!!

3 comments:

Ruth said...

Ouch... I had no idea! Thanks for sharing. Looks like the video is no longer available though!

Kylee said...

yeah, I had no idea either. will have to check it out, cause I agree, I won't buy it either if that's the case (and I understand the magnitude of your committment Mel, would be similar for me I think!!)

Frances said...

Thanks for sharing that! I didn't know :( We bought a big block of cadbury's yesterday :( I don't think i'll be able to look at it next time i'm in the pantry...